Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What paper is the best/safest for laser printers (not color)?

I purchased the Brother 2040 B/W laser printer. I have some black and white photographs and wanted to print them out with the laser printer. However, I've heard that I can't use gloss paper because the heat will melt the coating and ruin the printer. Is there high quality photo paper for laser printers? Does it make a difference if the paper is for color laser printers as opposed to black and white? Factors such as weight, iso brightness, gloss, matte...it is all becoming very confusing with such a wide selection.





The photos are pretty sharp and I want to use the highest possible quality paper that is the safest to use on the laser printer. I would like to get the most professional looking results possible with a laser printer. However, finding that paper is proving rather daunting!





Thanks for all your help!What paper is the best/safest for laser printers (not color)?
There are papers out there made just for laser printers, but with your printer just being a B/W you can use regular bond paper in it too. Glossy papers are produced in many ways, some with coatings some heat smoothed and on the package it should list recommend uses. In the print shop I worked at we ran many different types of paper in our B/W laser such as fancy papers, to letter head and parchment; as long as they don't have raised ink print on them. Just make sure that you don't go to a card type paper this is when you will start to have difficulty. Just keep in mind what you put through your machine because it does use heat to setup the toner. Your local office supply store should be able to answer all your questions if you don't see anything on the paper package.





If you are printing high resolution photo prints for best results use a bright white smooth laser paper. Hammermill makes the best one and if I recalled correctly it is about a 23lbs paper.What paper is the best/safest for laser printers (not color)?
You are correct about glossy paper.





I would choose a heavy weight paper and get the brightest I could. You may want to ask an associate at Staples or Office Max for a recommendation.





There is no difference between paper for color and b/w laser.
I am using an Epson glossy with my laserprinter with good results.

No comments:

Post a Comment